The Town of Mansfield voted June 25, 1903 to establish
and operate a Municipal Lighting Plant and voted to issue
for $40,000 to cover the costs involved. The Building
committee, appointed by the selectmen, purchased a lot of
West Church Street consisting of 26,480 square feet.
The land was bought for a reasonable price of four cents
H.B. Rust & Co., Electrical Contractors of Providence,
RI, were awarded a contract totaling $38,300 for the work
necessary to get the plant up and running. A brick building
to house the generation equipment and department offices.
The same building is still in use today as a garage for the
All of the town's electricity would be supplied
by two 150 - horsepower American Diesel engines that were
to two 100 - kilowatt inductor - type alternators. The
contract awarded the Rust Co. also provided for 345 lights
to be installed
on four street lighting circuits that were being constructed
thus the Mansfield Municipal Electric Department was established.